Kiz Phonics provides interactive online phonics games to help teach children the connection between letters and sounds. These games develop the skills needed to read and write. All our games activities are designed based on years of teaching.
Phonics Games & Online Activities by Grade
This page was set up so that you can easily find our phonics games online by type and level.
Preschool Phonics Games
You will find our phonics games for teaching preschoolers and kindergartners. These games will practice skills in the following areas:
Kindergarten Phonics Games, Level 1
You will find our phonics games for teaching kindergarten level 1. These worksheets will practice skills in the following areas:
Kindergarten Phonics Games, Level 2
You will find our phonics games for teaching kindergarten level 2. These games will develop skills in the following areas:
First Grade Phonics Games, Level 1
You will find our phonics games for teaching first grade level 1. These games will develop skills in the following areas:
First Grade Phonics Games, Level 2
You will find our phonics games for teaching first grade level 2. These games will develop skills in the following areas:
Second Grade Phonics Games, Level 1
You will find our phonics games for teaching second grade level 1. These games will develop skills in the following areas:
Phonics Vowel Games
The games provide an exercise to help review vowel combinations without the boredom. Kids will learn and review word families or word patterns, spelling and listening for exact phonemes. Each game focuses on one aspect of phonemic awareness. The word families in each game are carefully arranged around the vowel sounds.
Phonics Word Family Games
Practice word families and different phonemes with these interactive phonics games. These games can be used with phonics learners of kindergarten, 1st grade and 2nd grades. The help kids practice long and short vowel sounds, as well as digraphs and blends.
These are interactive sentence monkey games to practice different sentences. Fun games to learn English while helping the monkey get the banana by filling in the blank spaces in the game.
Register Now to Unlock the Full Wealth of this Site.
Why Play Phonics Games
Phonics is a method of teaching children to read by combining letter sounds to read words. This system of sounds and word building, is by its very nature, challenging for children who are only just learning how to read. Therefore, phonics games are a must in making learning fun. Games help children learn without thinking about the learning. Games for phonics can be online or in-class. Often, in-class phonics games involve the use of phonics flashcards, visual crafts and tactile resources to both introduce and reinforce learning of letter sounds - called phonemes. Letter sound games typically involve students listening and recognizing sounds by their letter or combination of letters with flashcards as teaching aids.
Phonics games online complement in-class games by providing interactive activities which allow children to drive their own learning. To practice phonics, teachers and parents select a game that focuses on a particular sound or phoneme and let children practice for the session. Yes, the teacher or parent’s input is necessary to provide structure and guidance!
It is always a good idea to focus on one or two phonemes in each phonics practice or lesson session. Unless it is a review lesson, playing too many online games to review multiple phonemes in one session is a sure way to get children to either become bored or lose the meaning of the activity.
At Kiz Phonics, we offer a variety of games and interactive phonics activities to help kids practice the sounds at preschool, kindergarten or nursery, first grade and second-grade levels.
- Preschool Phonics Games: Our preschool phonics games are activities to help learners recognize letters and sounds from A to Z. Focusing on the first 26 letters of the alphabet, and the essential sounds they make is a useful departure point for early literacy. Explore our full range of preschool games.
- Kindergarten Phonics Games Level 1: Our Level 1 kindergarten phonics games help develop skills in recognizing and sounding out beginning and ending consonants. These gaming exercises also emphasize practice on short vowels ‘a’ and ‘e’, which are later combined with consonants to form word families such as ‘at’, and ‘et’ in words like bat and bet.
- Kindergarten Phonics Games Level 2: Our Level 2 kindergarten phonics games contain activities centered around all the short vowels, word families and several ending consonant sounds.
- First Grade Phonics Games Level 1: Moving up to our 1st grade phonics games for level 1, students practice sounds such as consonant digraphs and S blends. We offer games to practice digraphs ch, sh, th, ph and more. Others games review S and L blends as well as the soft c and g.
- First Grade Phonics Games Level 2: Under 1st grade phonics games level 2, you will find activities to practice vowel digraphs and long vowels. Children in grade 1 will also develop skills in reading R blends and L blends. Mastery of vowel digraphs such as ‘ai’, ‘ee’ and ‘ay’, which recur in several English words, will help supercharge children’s literacy skills. At this stage, you will find your child confidently reading short stories and reading road signs. They will also begin to ask you how to pronounce unfamiliar words which they notice around them. Pay particular attention to the child at this stage and respond to their requests promptly. That way, you continue to build their literacy confidence.
- Second Grade Phonics Games: Our phonics games in the second grade level, help children practice those sounds that tend to be a little trickier to teach. We offer activities to practice sounds such as r-controlled vowels – ir, ar, er, ur – which are not the most straightforward phonemic sounds to teach. Then there are various sounds of y and double vowel sounds. There is a reason these sounds are introduced later when children have developed confidence in reading words and sentences.
Kiz Phonics also offers a number of games and activities to practice specific phonics skills. You will find games on word families, sentence reading practice and
- Word Families Phonics Games for Kindergarten: Kindergarteners can practice a range of word families games from here. These activities mainly use short vowel and consonant combinations to develop word families.
- Word Families Phonics Games for 1st Grade: Activities to practice word families for grade one learners can also be found here. These activities mainly review word families with and vowel digraphs.
- Word Families Phonics Games for 2nd Grade : Grade two phonics learners can also develop competence in reading by practicing with word families that use long vowel sounds and vowel digraphs.
- Sentence Games for Phonics: Looking for games to practice reading short sentences? Then you are hereby covered.
So now you know how and why games are important to the teaching of phonics. But remember, it is not the only tool you need. The beauty of Kiz Phonics is that we provide a variety of teaching tools that adapt to various contexts as well as learning styles. We remain the one-stop-shop for your phonics needs. Bookmark this page so you never lose it.
I Want Hard Copies of this Program (Sold Out)
You may choose to instead buy the contents of this website as books and CDs. In that case, you can buy sets of our course from the store. Click on a set to purchase all the courseware. Please note that the contents of the hard copies are the same as the online materials, but without updates. If you would like both online access and books, contact us for discounts.
Pre-K & Kindergarten Books
Want hard copies of our products? No problem. You may order our phonics activity books and more from our store - for Preschool & Kindergarten. Each set comes with CDs and the playing card sets and board game.
1st & 2nd Grade Books
Want hard copies of our products? No problem. You may order our phonics activity books and more from our store - For 1st Grade & 2nd Grade. Each set comes with CDs and the playing card sets and board game.