Kiz Phonics is a direct systematic phonics program, which uses an eclectic mix of analytics, analogy and synthetic phonics methods to develop literacy skills in children at an early age. All phonemic lessons are not created equal. Therefore, a methodology that employs a variety of teaching techniques is a winning formula. Kiz Phonics provides a variety of resources that reflect this eclectic approach to teaching phonics.
So what is in the Kiz Phonics eclectic approach?
- Synthetic Phonics: What is synthetic phonics? To synthesize means to combine or blend. Synthetic phonics teaches children to read words by blending or combining the individual sounds of the word. We use synthetic phonics in our program when necessary. Look at the examples below:
- /a/ /t/ blending – we blend /a/ with /t/ to read a word chunk ‘at’.
- /oa/ /t/ blending – we blend /oa/ with /t/ to read a word chunk ‘oat’.
- /ee/ /t/ blending – we blend /ee/ with /t/ to read a word chunk ‘eet’.
- Analogy Phonics: What is analogy phonics? Another word for analogy phonics is word chunks or word families. With this method, a word chunk is taught first and then other sounds are added to form new words in the same family. Look at the examples below:
- ‘at’ word chunk/family is taught and used to build similar words like cat, rat, mat, sat, that
- ‘oat’ word chunk/family is taught and used to build similar words like coat, boat, moat, goat
- ‘eet’ word chunk/family is taught and used to build similar words like sheet, beet, greet
- Analytic Phonics: With analytic phonics, children are taught whole words and later analyze letter sounds in these words. One way of teaching using this method is to present words with similar letter sounds and have learners focus on the common sound. For example, the words – bat, ball, bell, book are taught. The learner analyzes and concludes that they all start with letter ‘b’ and make the sound /b/.
What resources are offered?
Kiz Phonics offers worksheets, games, videos, powerpoint, flash cards and many more materials that reflect this eclectic approach to teaching phonics. A good directory of most materials can be found here: https://www.kizphonics.com/materials/
A systematic order of learning can be found here: https://www.kizphonics.com/phonics-program/