Short ‘A’ Phonics Warmer Song
- Song: Short ‘a’ Warmer Song
- Learning Objectives: The goal of this song is for teachers to use when starting a phonics lesson that involves using the short ‘a’ to blend and read simple words. This is especially useful for the kindergarten levels. It is a great TPR song.
How to Teach:
- Stick the letter ‘a’ flash card on the board or write the letter. Point to the flash card and say the sound /a/ twice. Students repeat.
- Turn on the music video. Let the students listen and watch once.
- Break down the song by singing the ‘if you’re happy’ part. Encourage students to repeat the /a/ /a/ part.
- The teacher plays the song again once and when it comes to repeating the /a/ /a/, do a loud speaker gesture ( shape your two hands to form a loud speaker)
- Finally, sing with the students. Let the teacher and student focus be as follows:
Teacher's Line: If you’re happy and you know it say /a/ /a/
Students' repeat: /a/ /a/
Encourage learners to repeat the /a/ /a/ with the loud speaker gesture.
- Repeat the song once or twice and start the lesson.